Wednesday, July 13, 2011

An interview with C.A. Kunz


1. Tell us more about yourself

Carol- I am half English and half American. I was born in the United Kingdom, 54 years ago. I saw my first ghost at the young age of 8 and have had several paranormal experiences since. I have two grown children who have gone out into the world on their own, and three four-legged ones still living at home. I’ve been married for 35 years to my husband Bob, who is also one of the main illustrators for our series. My life could make for interesting reading, so unbelievable, that if I did write it down nobody would probably believe me. I have been writing with my son, Adam, for just over two years now, and this wonderfully enjoyable experience has brought us closer together.

Adam- I was born in New Port News, Virginia and have traveled coast to coast with my parents, living in several places due to my dad being in the military. Growing up, I was a huge fan of creature features and books about things that go bump in the night. When I’m not busy writing, I enjoy my job at a certain theme park here in Orlando, Florida as a décor consultant. This job brings me face to face with all sorts of nightmarish creatures, especially when I decorate the haunted houses for the park’s annual Halloween event.

2. Tell us more about the book you are promoting?

Carol and Adam- The Childe is a coming of age story with a supernatural twist about our main character, Cat Colvin. Along with the normal stresses of starting her freshman year at Astoria high school, she also has to deal with a mean spirited teacher, catty girls, and a Goth clique that seems to take an instant dislike to her. To make matters worse, unbeknownst to her, she is also metamorphosing into a Childe.

3. How does this book describe you? How does it express your thoughts?

Carol and Adam- Well, we both share the love of the paranormal and things that go ‘bump’ in the night. We also wanted to do something a little different (not necessarily original) than most YA books nowadays, and have a ‘happy family’ scenario, of which both of us were lucky enough to have while growing up. We also wanted to show that life doesn’t always go the way you would like it to, and sometimes you have to adapt to certain situations to make the outcome better.

4. What similarities do you find between yourself and the protagonist?

Carol- Cat is a strong female and person in general. I feel I too am a strong person. I’ve led a very challenging life, and know that I have to learn my life lessons, but sometimes I wish I could just have a break (like I’m sure everyone does). She is also a great and loyal friend, which is what I have always tried to be (heck no one is perfect). Also, Cat is red-headed, left-handed and doesn’t tan, a saying that I use to describe myself. Adam wrote the chapter describing her, and he always laughs when I describe myself, so he made Cat have attributes like mine.

5. What about you do you see in the antagonist?

Carol and Adam- We all have our dark sides, and we’re no exception. We’d never deliberately hurt someone, but we do get angry just like everyone else.  Unlike our antagonist though, who embraces their evil nature, we’d never act on our dark side. And no, just in case you’re wondering, Carol doesn’t have a ‘redheaded’ temper that all redheads have mistakenly been saddled with.

6. What music most appropriately suits your book?

Carol and Adam- Funny that you mention that. Adam has a friend (an engineer and aspiring musician), Lee Wilson, who is putting together a companion soundtrack for our book. Volume one of the soundtrack spans the first two books in The Childe series, and will contain 11 full length songs. The songs have full lyrics and were inspired by the words of the novels. They span several genres from pop, rock, r&b, punk, classical, and country. The Childe companion soundtrack will be available soon.

7. What values do you wish to impart through your book?

Carol and Adam- The value of true friendship.  People that will stand by you no matter what.  We’ve moved around a great deal in our lives, losing track of friends along the way, and now realize how much we yearn for long lasting true friendship. In this day and age, with the world becoming a little crazier every day, it’s nice to have someone to count on when you need them. We’re proud of how we’ve displayed this in our book.

Links:

Find us on Goodreads @: http://bit.ly/majh5D

Find us on Facebook @: www.facebook.com/thechilde (book page) and www.facebook.com/cakunz11 (author page)

Find us on Twitter: @AuthorCAKunz

Our blog/website (that is under construction at the moment): www.cakunz.blogspot.com

The Childe (Book One in The Childe Series) is available at these locations:

Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/jJiRly (Paperback edition)
                     http://amzn.to/lPm919 (Kindle edition)
Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/kX9qjx (Paperback edition)
                       http://amzn.to/kTp6V2 (Kindle edition)
Barnes and Noble.com: http://bit.ly/li59yI (Nook edition)
                                    http://bit.ly/kke47q (Paperback edition)

1 comment:

Reena Jacobs said...

It's nice to see a happy family. It does seem like the theme is dysfunctional. Every family has their own set of problems, but I have hard time believing EVERY family is jacked up. :) I'm glad you two decided to step out of the box and present a functional family.